Digital manifestation of my physical self

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Prayer


"I do not ask God to forgive me for my sins, if I have committed something wrong I deserve to be punished, I ask God to give me the strength not to commit it again."





I have never understood the concept and it surprises me how people across so many cultures for ages have been asking 'god to forgive them', which is so wrong. Its mean that they beg for being not punished, while they know they deserve it. Why? Because they are afraid of it. They should realise if at all they have wronged, they should take the punishment gracefully. If they feel sorry for their actions they should not ask to be "not punished", they should just ask to have the strength to not do it ever again.

Shantanu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above picture and more similar pictures at http://www.pbase.com/shantanu



2 Comments:

  • Why would you think asking for forgiveness is the same as asking not to be punished? When I ask God to forgive me, I am asking Him to forget the offense against Him. The "punishment" is the consequence of my sinful action.

    By Blogger rev-ed, At 8:11 PM  

  • Very good point you make. I agree with you, at least partially.
    If you are asking for God to forget the sin against him, are you not implying he does not punish you for it? If you want God to forget the offense against him, why would he punish you.

    The basic premise of understanding being - are you punished by God for your actions or is "punishment" a consequence of your sinful action. If you believe the latter then you are absolutely right. However, as I believe the former I do not agree.

    I am sure there are quite a lot of people who would agree with you, and maybe a few who agree with me. Nice thought provoking comment though.

    By Blogger shantanu nigam, At 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home